Luton Hoo railway station

Luton Hoo railway station was built by the Hertford, Luton & Dunstable Railway on the branch line between Hatfield and Dunstable. It opened in 1860 and was originally called New Mill End. In 1861 the railway was taken over by the Great Northern Railway. The name changed to Luton Hoo in 1891 and the station closed in 1965. The last passenger train, packed with enthusiasts, was hauled by Brush Type 2 (later Class 31) D5589 on 24 April 1965.

Luton Hoo
The station in the 1980s
Location
PlaceLuton Hoo
Operations
Original companyHertford, Luton & Dunstable Railway
Pre-groupingGreat Northern Railway
Post-groupingLondon and North Eastern Railway
Platforms1
History
1860Opened as New Mill End
1891Renamed Luton Hoo
1965Station closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Railways around Luton
Leagrave
Luton
Luton Bute Street
Luton Airport Parkway
Luton Airport
(under construction)
Luton Hoo
Chiltern Green

It served Luton Hoo house and the village of New Mill End. It was close to the Midland Railway station of Chiltern Green and the GNR line took a parallel course to the Midland north to Luton Bute Street.

The station building and platform still exist, sited next to a sewage works.

Routes

Preceding station   Disused railways   Following station
Luton Bute Street
Line and station closed
  Great Northern Railway
Dunstable Branch
  Harpenden East
Line and station closed

See also


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.